Friday, April 9, 2010

The Wasp.



Every once in a while, you'll come upon a hotel room that has "guests" already checked in when you open the door. Sometimes they are hiding right under the pillows, sometimes they're on the bathroom floor and SOMETIMES you find out they're in the room when they buzz over your head. Last night falls under the third category. And it was terrifying. I've never seen a wasp that big before, ever. He was a beast and I'm pretty sure he had me in his sights. He didn't give up his position until about 20 minutes after I walked in the door and got cozy in my bed or else I never would have stayed in that room. This was not a very smart wasp though. After he flew over my head, he landed on the light fixture on the ceiling and then there was no hiding from my shoe. Or so I thought. When I finally worked up my courage, I grabbed my sneaker and tip toed over and then...WHAM!!! At first I thought I got him, but then he started flying around like crazy until he landed on the wall. He buzzed a little bit and then finally curled up into what I believed to be a death ball. What a tricky little bugger. He stayed in that position for at least an hour, silent and still, planning his next move. All of the sudden I hear the most dreaded noise a person can hear when locked in a hotel room with a seemingly dead wasp: buzz. My stomach dropped and I felt adrenaline rush through my body as I jumped off the bed and scrambled for a weapon. After completing my arsenal with the coffee service tray and a plastic cup, I debated whether I should give the little guy leniancy and try to set him free but after looking at his huge waspy body again, I decided that my personal safety was far too important and it was time to take him down once and for all. Up I snuck, tray in my right hand, plastic cup in my left, ready to pounce. WARNING: This next session is not for the faint of heart. Armed and ready, I rushed the wall and SMASH!!! (much more effective than WHAM) and then SLIDE as I smeared him down the wall to make sure that I really got him. The rest was quick to follow: scoop the corpse, dump it and flush the toilet. Done. Unfortunately, I was in too much of a hurry cleaning up the scene to grab a picture, but this is a pretty good resemblence. Scary. Very scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment