Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Math Facts

Tonight's after work adventure was dinner with my aunt, my cousin and my sister.  Normally my uncle and my other cousin would be there too but they are sneaking in one more summer vacation before school starts, so our gathering tonight was just a little more intimate.  In my time as a Trucker Girl, it has been hard to make sure I see my family as much as I ought to so tonight was a real treat, especially with a few out of state tours coming up this month.  One of the coolest things about visiting with my little cousins is the constant amazement I have at just how smart they are.  Example: math facts.  Now see, my cousin is 6 and like most 6 year old kids he has a lot of favorites.  Favorite color: pink, favorite animal: pig, favorite number: 34, favorite part of the news: weather.  His favorite activity (are you ready for this?) happens to be math facts.  A little different than most other 6 year olds I've encountered, yes, but he has a real knack for it.  He can even beat me with his multiplication skills sometimes (not always, but every once in a while...) and I love how much he loves math.  We can literally sit at the kitchen table for hours going back and forth with adding and multiplying double digit numbers without stopping, and it's great.  He is such a smart kid and he never misses a beat.  If I repeat the same number too many times, I know about it right away.  If my addition is off, he makes sure to let me know, and if the problems I'm giving him are too easy well, he'll make sure I know that too.  I know he's only 6, but I have high hopes.  Who knows what's in the future for a 6 year old math lover?  Teacher?  Maybe.  Mathematician?  Perhaps.  But if my cousin has anything to say about it, I can guarantee there will mountains of math facts involved, and I can't wait to see him go!  Hopefully not too quickly though because my long division is a little rusty and I'm going to be in trouble when he gets into that business...

No comments:

Post a Comment